Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice followed by South MetroCity Association of Realtors (SMART) Members:
SMART members shall continuously strive to become and remain informed on issues affecting real estate and, as knowledgeable professionals, they shall willingly share the fruits of their experience and study with others. They identify and take steps, through the enforcement of this Code of Ethics to eliminate practices which may damage the public or which might discredit or bring dishonor to the real estate profession.
- When representing a buyer, seller, landlord, tenant, or any other client as an agent, SMART members pledge to protect and promote the interests of their client. This obligation to the client is primary, but it does not relieve SMART members of their obligation to treat all parties honestly.
- The obligation of SMART members to preserve confidential information provided by their clients in the course of any agency relationship continues even after termination of the agency relationships.
- SMART members shall avoid exaggeration, misrepresentation, or concealment of pertinent facts relating to the property or the transaction.
- SMART members may represent the seller / landlord and buyer / tenant in the same transaction only after full disclosure to and with informed consent of both parties.
- SMART members shall not undertake to provide specialized professional services concerning a type of property or service that is outside their field of competence unless they engage the assistance of one who is competent on such types of property or service, or unless the facts are fully disclosed to the client. Any persons engaged to provide such assistance shall be so identified to the client and their contribution to the assignment should be set forth.
- SMART members shall not deny equal professional services to any person for reasons of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. SMART members shall not be party to any plan or agreement to discriminate against a person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin
- SMART members shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations.
- SMART members, in attempting to secure a listing, shall not deliberately mislead the owner of its market value.
- SMART members, when seeking to become a buyer / tenant representative, shall not mislead buyers or tenants as to the savings or other benefits that might be realized through use of the SMART member’s services.
- SMART members shall not undertake to provide professional services concerning a property or its value where they have a present or contemplated interest unless such interest is specifically disclosed to all affected parties.
- SMART members shall not accept any commission, rebate, or profit on expenditures made for their client, without the client’s knowledge and consent.
- SMART members, in their real estate employment practices, shall not discriminate against any person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.
- SMART members shall not engage in activities that constitute the unauthorized practice of law and shall recommend that legal counsel be obtained when the interest of any party to the transaction requires it.
- SMART members shall not knowingly or recklessly make false or misleading statements about competitors, their businesses, or their business practices.