Home >> FAQs >> Technical Matters

Technical Matters::

  • What is the Development Plan and who sanctions the same?

    Ans: The development plan is an aspect of Town planning in various states and cities of India comprising a set of documents, which set out the local authorities policies and proposals for the development and use of land in their area. The development plan guides and informs day to day decisions as to whether or not planning permission should be granted, under the system known as Development Control. In order to ensure that these decisions are rational and consistent, they must be considered against the development plan adopted by the authority, after public consultation and having proper regard to other material factors. The First Development Plan for Mumbai was sanctioned by the Government of Maharashtra in the year 1967. The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai had declared its intention to revise Development Plan for Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai on 13th January 1977 and after following provisions of Maharashtra Regional Town Planning Act, 1966, draft Development Plan prepared by Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai was submitted to Government for sanction. The State Government has sanctioned Revised Development Plan in parts between the period July 1990 to year 1994 including Development Control Regulations for Greater Mumbai, 1991. The Development Plan consists of 127 D.P. Sheets showing the zoning of the Mumbai (viz.; residential, industrial, etc.) and the reservations, designations, allocations, etc.

  • What are D.P. Remarks?

    Ans: D.P. Remarks are true part extract of Sanctioned Revised Development Plan published by the Government giving details of zoning and planning proposals. It also contains remarks whether plot is affected by Coastal Regulation Zone as per notification No.S.O.No.114(E) of 19/02/1991 of Ministry of Environment, road cutting, if any, reservations, if any & Forest and provisions regarding Heritage listing etc. The D.P. Remarks are not indicative of ownership rights of the property.

  • Who can obtain D.P. Remarks and how?

    Ans: Any applicant can submit application for D.P. Remarks of a property on the printed prescribed forms available for sale in Development Plan Department alongwith plans duly signed in triplicate to be prepared by the applicant. The plans submitted are marked with the provisions in the Sanctioned Revised Development Plan and returned with remarks from zoning point of view duly signed. A separate application for different holding (non-contiguous) is required to be submitted alongwith prevailing certifying charges of Rs.160/- per C.T.S. No. in the office of Chief Engineer (Development Plan) on any working day. [1: 40 (tallying with true extract plan) from office of the City Survey & Land Records and Location Plan 1cm=25 mts. (1:2500) scale for city & for suburbs, the Block Plan shall be to the scale of 1:500 and the Location Plan to the scale of 1:4000 in triplicate (Ammonia prints) showing the land with reference to the existing roads in the locality and C.S. boundaries and numbers comprised in the land.]

  • How are the Building Plans approved?

    Ans: The Architect or Licensed Surveyor submits the proposal for approving Building Plans on behalf of the owner/ Constituted Attorney of the owner alongwith requisite notices and forms and payment of fees in the Zonal Building Proposal offices of MCGM.

  • Can copies of Building Plans be obtained?

    Ans: Any interested person i.e. person having interest in the property can apply for certified copies of Building Plan, intimation of disapproval (IOD), Commencement Certificate, Occupation Certificate issued to the building from the Zonal Building Proposal Office on payment of certification charges, etc. The cost of preparation of copy has to be borne by the applicant in addition to the certification charges.

  • What are Transferable Development Rights (TDR)?

    Ans: Unsatisfactory performance in implementation of Sanctioned Revised Development Plan 1967 has necessitated search of alternate source of resource for satisfactory implementation of Sanctioned Revised Development Plan. Hence, innovative provision such as concept of Transferable Development Rights (TDR) in lieu of land under reservations handed over free of cost and free of encumbrances by the owner to Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai has been introduced in the D.C.Regulation for Greater Mumbai, 1991. The financial burden on Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai to acquire and develop the plots under reservations have therefore, been reduced to some extent due to this provision. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai has acquired 450 Nos. of C.T.S. holdings under various reservations admeasuring 19,11,329.188 Sq.Mt. till 31st December,2004. The 420 nos. of C.T.S. holdings under various D.P.Roads admeasuring 6,89,970.91 Sq.Mt. have also been acquired in lieu of TDR.

  • What are Property Taxes?

    Ans: Property taxes are a suite of taxes levied on land and building in the city of Mumbai.

  • How is Rateable Value determined?

    Ans: The Ratable Value is calculated as the rent that a property fetches or may fetch, minus certain deductions. Various parameters of the property like its construction type, usage type, etc. determine which method is applied to compute this value. In cases where a property is let out on rent, this rent is the base for computing the RV. However, in cases where the property is owner occupied, the rent-earning capacity of that property is estimated using the Residential Letting Rate or RLR Method.

  • How is tax liability calculated?

    Ans: A property is assessed using one of the various methods of computing rateable value. The Rateable Value (RV) forms the tax base and the tax rates as per the table above are applied to derive the annual tax liability of a property.

  • Why is the tax rate higher than 100%?

    Ans: The Rent Control Act does not allow for re-assessment of properties unless they are altered. Thus, the tax base (rateable value) of a property once assessed becomes frozen in time. The tax liability does not keep pace with the cost of service delivery. To only method to offset the inability to revise the tax base, is to increase the tax rate. Over time, this has led to the tax rate rising above 100%.

  • How do I pay my Property Taxes?

    Ans: Your annual tax liability is billed to you in two instalments, one for each semester. You can pay your property taxes at the Citizen Facilitation Counters (CFC) of the ward that the property is assessed under.

  • Who can be contacted with reference to billing?

    Ans: The Assistant Assessor and Collector of the ward where the property is assessed may be contacted with reference to issues regarding assessment of your property.